Monday, February 28, 2011

NGOH HIANG - Hokkien Meat Rolls

28 Feb 2011
I tried this recipe for the first time.  It was good but it would be even better if I had added dried mushrooms for more flavor and some carrots for color.

Anyway, here are the pics to the steps.  The quantity stated is for 2 recipes so you can reduced to half if you don't need to make this much.  I can make 8 rolls out of this, exactly with 1 pack of the bean curd skin which cuts into 8 pcs.

I bought the fish from the fish market and it was actually prepared ready to be made into fish balls.


The ingredients have to be well mixed together. My friends suggested to beat the meat (like preparing the meat for meat balls) before adding the other ingredients.  However, I just had everything in together and I kept folding them till they were very well mixed and the texture was firm.

Now prepare the bean curd skin:
1)  Cut the bean curd skin into roughly 30cm x 25cm pieces.  My pack came in 2 large sheets and I cut them into 4 equal pieces for each sheet so I was able to have 8 pieces which was just nice for 2 recipes.

2)  I washed my bean curd skin by just dipping them into a basin of water few times and lay it out on a strainer.  I washed them piece by piece and I washed 4 pieces for use first so they won't get dry during the making process.
Lay out the bean curd skin and scoop an amount (depends on your preference of size) onto the bc-skin.

  
You will need to dap some cornflour along all the sides and briefly over the skin so it will stick together later.
Shape it out like a roll on the bean curd skin.

Dap some cornflour at each end of the roll to ensure the bean curd skin will close over the roll.

Here is a video clip which I asked my daughter to take while I was making the rolls. 

Now you can prepare your steamer.  I used my wok as a steamer and I sprayed some oil over the steamer plate before placing in the wok.  Then place the rolls on the steamer plate; cover the wok and steam over medium heat for 10 min.  Then take them out to cool on a rack.  You can freeze the rest for later, if you have more than enough for one meal.   They are ready to be served as Steam Meat Rolls or you can cut into bite pieces, coat them with cornflour and deep fry them.

I avoid deep frying as much as possible so I pan fried them over medium heat till lightly brown.  Then cut them into bite sizes and ready to serve.

They go well with chilli sauce or my home-made chilli paste.

1 comment:

  1. Aunty...I'm hungry just by looking at this~ Thanks for sharing~~~

    ReplyDelete